Friday, April 6, 2018

k = “k?”

Have you ever noticed how lazy we are in speech?  We cut the endings off words, the beginnings off words, and rarely does anyone seem to notice.  We literally teach our kids to abbreviate words.  No one says, “Pardon me?” anymore when they need to hear something again or need further explanation—it’s simply, “huh?”  And since my letter for the night is “k”, I decided to expound on how it plays in our everyday speech.
When I taught English composition to college students, one of my hardest tasks was to get them to write an actual formal essay without texting it to me.  Sure, it was on paper, but in the middle of the essay, I would read, “…so u no what  happened b4 and after…” as they hurried to finish the essay assigned.  I would point out that “u” should be spelled out as “you” and receive puzzled looks and complaints that I was being too picky about the writing.  I, in turn, blamed their sloppy abbreviating on the overuse of texting and emails that encouraged this type of writing, but still insisted that a future employer would not be particularly happy reading “u no” on a resume.  They, the students, would grumble and complain, but generally could understand the importance of spelling out actual words to impress.  And then we would discuss how we butcher the language we use every day.  The class would always become fun.
One example that repeatedly was used was the use of “k” for “okay,” which in turn, substitutes for “all right.”  It became fun when I would ask them to write like they speak on our classroom whiteboard.  A brave soul would come up and write, “How are you?” and usually get laughed at with comments like, “get real, sucker!”  So the brave soul would get a shrug from me and erase the original question and write, “How ya doin?” and see approval from classmates and myself and then proceed to write the answer, “k.”  We would go on with other examples, such as, “whasup?” and some of their favorite greetings.  But always, “K” was considered an appropriate answer in nearly every situation.  So I spent more time listening to them and their conversations and to others outside the classroom.
I stopped in at McDonald’s (error in judgment) and a non-English speaker was trying to order.  Seeing his frustration, and knowing very, very few words in Spanish, I tried to help.  Between the two of us, he was able to place his order and I gave him a thumbs up and a smile and his response?  A huge grin and a verbal “K!”  He didn’t know how to speak English but he knew “K” would work!  To let you know, I will tell you we stayed with him to make sure he got his order, asked him if it was “okay” and again, he nodded, grinned, and said, “K!”  
Later that same day, I got a text message from a friend asking me if I would be in her neighborhood, if I could pick up something she needed and bring it to her.  Without thinking, I texted back, “k.”  AAAAAARGH!  The very thing I was griping about I was doing!
“How are things going?”    “K.”
“Ya got it now?”  “K.”
“Can you do this?”  “K.”
“How are you feeling?”  “K.”

So do I still do this, realizing the trap of laziness I have fallen into?  Yeppers!  All the time.  I am asked a question verbally and I respond most times with “k” if the answer is in the affirmative.  Is it a lack of vocabulary on my part?  No, because when I choose to do so, I can use large words (50 cent words) at will.  But when in friendly conversation?  Lazy.  Lazy.  Lazy!  Can I grab that door to keep it from slamming into my buddy?  K.
Do I think I need to shut this laptop down now for the night and get some sleep after dragging my reader through another whimsical adventure of my making?  k.


Good night, k?

3 comments:

  1. Text shorthand was around waaaa-aaay before cell phones (& pagers) made it popular. REmember those advertisements in magazines "if u cn rd ths, u cn gt a btr jb"? K?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Judy! My son-in-law posted a complaint a few months back on social media asking if people really didn't have the time to text "OK" for a response instead of "K." Guilty as charged! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous post! I love the description of you helping the Hispanic fellow order at McDonald's--and the universal answer of "K"! I really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete