Monday, February 6, 2017

Age

Age is defined in the dictionary as both a noun and a verb.  The noun version states that it is the time that a person or thing has existed since birth or beginning.  As a verb, age is defined as growing old, to ripen and become mature.  Of course there are a total 9 different definitions in Webster's New World College Dictionary, but these are the two that are relevant to myself.  First, let's think about the noun "age."
The noun form of "age" is important when you are buying something at a garage sale, an antique store, or from Target.  Depending on what you want to buy, you may judge the item by its age.  If looking for a dresser, for example, you may not like the newer ones and may want one like you remember in your grandmother's bedroom.  If you do find this sought for treasure, then you have to look at the "distress" factor.  Exactly how beat up is this dresser?  I remember trying to sell a plank wooden table to get a little extra money.  In actuality, it was only about 10 years old, solid wood.  But--it was definitely "distressed" from five kids, their numerous friends, relatives, and all who sat around it.  Burn marks, scratches, one child who wanted to be a woodcarver later in life--all distressed the table.  When prospective buyers saw it, their eyes would light up, and then the dreaded question--"Exactly how old is the table?"  Mutterings, ducked head, and finally the answer "About 10 years old."  Faces turned to stone, judgement as the "distressed" table became the victim of unruly kids and people in general and was no longer enticing.  It was just a beat up wood dining table and the final judgement was I'd be lucky to get ten bucks and someone with a truck to haul it away.  Yep.  They were right.
Likewise, those of us who have lived through the "terrible twos" with our own kids or others' wait for that "age" to pass and just bear with it.  We accept that for roughly a year at that age, children are generally demanding, screaming, defiant little entities.  After all, it is the "age."  So as they throw themselves on the floor in the grocery store or scream in the restaurant, we smile and say, "Two years old" and that excuses the little one.  (And lets the parent/caretaker off the hook.)  But I do not take the two year old into Target with me when I want to buy something NEW.  I don't want the little one to damage and make the brand new item look like it has been around half a century!  
So you can see age is relevant as a noun in many, many ways.
Now to take on age as a verb!  Nothing is better tasting than a fine, aged cheese, or an aged glass of wine!  Both have been lovingly nurtured and cared for as they matured so that you are in heaven when they hit your palate.  We pay and pay dearly for these items brought to maturity!  But the fuzzy thing growing in the back of the fridge?  UGH!  The milk with lumps in it that plop into your glass rather than flow smoothly?  Another DOUBLE UGH!  Some things are meant to age and grow better and sweeter and smoother.  Some items need to be disposed of within a few days or else.
So we see the process of aging, good or bad, everywhere.  The venerable old tree that you love that has just been there "forever."  That stock you bought on a whim that is now maturing, along with your loan.  The two year old that is now a senior in high school applying to colleges and no one killed her/him before they turned three years old.  That car you were going to trade in that is now a classic because you let it set so long in the driveway.  But the best example is your body.  Ahhh yes.
You go to the doctor for some minor and irritating reason or just an annual check up.  Generally, whatever the problem, some test or another needs to be run, causing you to return for the results.  And then the comment, "You're in good shape--for your age." SLAM!  The ultimate insult, compliment, ambiguous bullshit!  Pride in being in good shape--despair for your age.  Reminds me of when I made a touchdown in street football, and the oldest boy in the neighborhood came up and hit me so hard in congratulations for carrying the ball to the end of the block that I fell face first into the pavement.  Wow!  I impressed him!  Geez, that hurt!  Hence, my response to both the doctor and the big kid on the block--"Thanks, I think."
And so AGE becomes more important while also insignificant.  Paradox.  Use it to get that cheaper breakfast at a restaurant or those tacos at Del Taco on Taco Tuesday.  Deny it when the physician tells you to be careful and watch what you eat.  Steaks and chocolate and beer never hurt you before!  You hear, "you're only as old as you feel."  I remember being so disappointed that I didn't feel any different at all between 7 years of age and 8.  It was devastating!  And no, sorry-- inwardly I may feel 16, but when it comes to breaking into my house after I lock myself out, I'm going to find a kid, a spry kid, to climb through that tiny, unlocked shower window in my bathroom.  See, with age comes wisdom!  Why break my neck?  If the kid falls through, hits the tub and breaks an arm, she/he will have a cast to brag about and be proud of.  I would have to be in physical rehab/therapy for six months, never telling anyone why I was climbing through the bathroom window in the first place.  Wisdom.  Ingenuity.  SURVIVAL!
One thing for sure.  Age, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder and the body of the carrier.  I choose to use it where I can, deny and ignore it when I wish.  I know the definition.  But this is MY TRUTH when it comes to age!

4 comments:

  1. And then there's the fun of letting a fit type rate your age based on fitness level...Ugh. I'm going to continue to lie to myself and divide by 2. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Judy! And, I agree. Choose to use it where you can. I play the "little old lady" card whenever I need to. Like when I visit the Apple Store for help with my iPhone or iPad. Then, when I don't WANT to or become offended by someone's ageist comment, I say, "Well. I am NOT your typical little old lady!" Thank you! xoA

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a cute post. It was thought-provoking and humorous. I recognized a lot of the situations..and I still have trouble believing that I'm in my 60s...until I stay up too late and take three days to recover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the post. It gave me so many ways to think about age. My daughter is turning 9 tomorrow and it makes me feel old. Though I am 32 I definitely feel all of my 32 years. Great Post.

    ReplyDelete